Friday, May 7, 2010

Parts and the Almighty Dollar

This week I set out to take car of the next step of my head gasket project, purchasing the new head gasket. Simple yes? NO! It turnes out, and I didn't anticipate this, that its strongly recommended to replace valve cover gaskets and intake manifold gaskets along with the head gaskets. So, a $35 head gasket turns into a $72 head gasket kit. Then I discover that the head bolts on my particular engine are no reusable, so a $72 head gasket kit turns into a $105 head gasket kit and head bolt set. The moral of the story? Do your homework (which I thought I had. I'm still so new to the auto mechanic world, that sometimes I don't know the questions to ask, to do the correct research.) and even then budget extra money for parts.

Since the parts cost more than I anticipated, and I'm on the starving college student type budget, it looks like I'll be aquiring all the things I need a little at a time. Most likely it will take the better part of the summer to purchase everything, so I'm gonna shoot to have the truck finished in time for the snow, this winter.

No comments:

Post a Comment