Monday, June 28, 2010

The Head Gasket Job Begins

Sunday 6/27

I had every intention of starting and completing the head gasket job on my truck on Sunday. I got the oil drained (it was more coolant than oil...not good) and the the coolant drained. (and the power steering fluid...unrelated maintenance, the fluid was gross and needed replacing.). However, I got stuck on the intake manifold. Those bolts are torqued down @ over 120ft/lbs. I got all of them off except the one in the far back. There is so little room that I could barely get a wrench on it and forget about leverage. I've yanked on it (from a very akward angle using my left hand, and I'm right handed), hammered on it (which is useless, there's no room for the hammer to swing back) and I still can't break it loose. About 4 hours into the ideal, I decided to call it a day and reevalate the following morning.

The offending bolt in question!


Monday 6/28

I went back out to the truck with fresh muscles this afternoon and wailed on it some more (for about 45 mins) and I still couldn't get that Son of a B#&%$ to budge. I'm gonna run by Auto Zone and talk to my buddy Kirke D and see if he has any ideas. I need to grab a drain plug gasket and a filter wrench anyway. I am trying not to get frusterated. The Intake Manifold bolts have the highest ft/lbs of torque of any part of the engine (according to my Hayes) so if I can get this bolt out, I should be home free for the rest of the job...and with 4th of July vacay coming up, I will have tons of time to get this done next weekend...I hope.

No comments:

Post a Comment