Saturday, July 3, 2010

Valve Cover, Throttle Body and that DAMN Intake Manifold Bolt STILL won't budge

I've got a 5 day weekend to finish my project, so first thing this morning I jumped right in. Even with the penetrating oil to loosen the intake manifold bolt, I can't get that stupid thing to move, so I went to plan C. The intake manifold hangs off the right side of the engine and is attached to the head, so I can remove the throttle body and the valve cover to get to the head bolts, without actually having to remove the intake manifold (it just makes it a lot easier if I COULD remove it). This should allow me to remove the head, with the intake manifold still attached.















throttle body (at least that's what I think it is. I'm still learning the names of all the components. Please correct me if I'm wrong) detached and set aside (upper right hand corner).


I pulled out all but one of the spark plugs (this thing is a 4 cylinder engine with 8 spark plugs...I don't think that's normal). Anyway, this one particular spark plug melted the plastic cover on the wire that it was attached to and some of the plastic has melted over the plug, so I can't get a socket on it. I'll just pull the head with the plug still in place and see about getting it out then. I've got a bad feeling about that plug. I hope there isn't major damage there.

I disconnected most of the wiring (making sure I marked EVERYTHING) and then I pulled off the valve cover (pictured above)).


And that, ladies and gentlemen... 
...is what a single overhead cam looks like.

I also got the exhaust manifold unbolted, so as far as I can tell the next step is remove the head bolts and see if I can pull the entire assembly out with the intake manifold still attached.

No comments:

Post a Comment